Saturday 28 February 2004

Adnan lives on


Bust of Lt Adnan Saidi (1915-1942) at Reflections of Bukit Chandu.

I conducted the Kent Ridge Heritage Walk again yesterday. I left my group of NUS staff and alumni in the audio theatre to go get a drink when a pleasant young gentleman borrowed my pen. As he was busy writing in the book for visitor comments, I left him to go downstairs. His wife with their son in her arms eventually found me to return the pen.

When I joined my group again, Alvin, alerted me to the note which the gentleman had written.



"The story of Lt Adnan have inspired my wife to have our 1st child in his name. We bore our 1st child on 28 Nov 2002 and his name is Adnan Harris Bin Sani. On 28 Feb 04, I brought him here and told him about Lt Adnan.

My son was happy to see the museum. My family enjoyed the visit. I like to thank the staffs (friendly) and the organiser for making the place."


And it was signed,

Sani Tugiman and family. 04
Hidup Askar Melayu! [Long live the Malay Regiment]
Taat Setia! [Loyal and True]


The museum, Reflections at Bukit Chandu, is located at the end of Pepys Road off Pasir Panjang, where the last stand of the Battle of Pasir Panjang took place.

First posted in Otterman speaks, 29 Feb 2004.

No comments: