Saturday 3 September 2005

Pasir Panjang Heritage Walk this morning

While the International Coastal Cleanup Singapore: Kranji Mangroves team were on their way to Sungei Buloh this morning, some of the Raffles Museum's Pasir Panjang Heritage guides were heading down south to join Stella Wee of National Archives in welcoming visitors and finding lost souls at Harbour Front.

I had an old timer and long-time resident in my group who added his own stories to the guiding - this is always fun for the guide as it makes the session more conversational and is a rare opportunity to learn while guiding.



This time, the walk ended at Reflections at Bukit Chandu with a wonderful surprise - an enactment by a drama company. They did a good job, I thought, from the little I saw, although the heritage guides found themselves skipping content to make it to Bukit Chandu in time for this session.

I skipped the second session to donate blood but the others told me they went through the enactment and our biggest guide obediently knelt when yelled at by a 'Japanese officer' - the actor savoured the moment when the rest followed suit. We later suggested the gravity of the situation might have had him confused with his Catholic mass, but we'd better continue that investigation tomorrow. Wish I was there to see it, but I really feel that was probably just sympathetic acting.



Although I will miss the Kranji Commemoration Ceremony, the Pasir Panjang Heritage guides and Adrian Loo (Changi Heritage) will be at the ceremony.

First posted to Otterman speaks, 03 Sep 2005.

No comments: